Friday, May 12, 2017

Can I just vent for a moment? This week was a very busy one, as we have been dealing with a less than reputable character. Early on this week, I had a guy, supposedly out of Illinois, contact me via our YouCaring account stating he wanted to help but didn't like using online sites to donate financially. I thought it a tad strange, but because we have had literally had so many folks from all over the US that we do not know donate to our adoption, I gave it a shot. I contacted him, and he goes on to tell us he will mail us a check. I gave him our church's address, since I didn't want a stranger having my personal address. We received the check on Thursday afternoon, and almost immediately I receive a notification from him stating that the check had been delivered, when would we deposit it? Tracking numbers... 
At this point, I am getting all kinds of red flags. The envelope was from some roofing contractor business, but the check was from a posh boarding school in Illinois. I told him that I would not be depositing the check that day, that I was nowhere near a bank. All true. Then I asked him how he was affiliated with the school. Now this is a well established school, yet the check number was 576, a pretty low number for such an esteemed business.
He went on to tell me that's where he works (doesn't explain the envelope addressed with the roofing company), not to worry, it's a legitimate check, and to just deposit it. At this point, I'm like, yeah not happening! So I located the school's phone number, thank you Google! I gave them a call, and wouldn't you know, there have been some scams lately, but they want me to talk to the communications director to verify. As luck would have it, she's on vacation! At the same time this guy keeps contacting me wondering when I will deposit this check and not to worry, everything is going to be okay.
So this morning I called the bank on the check, and they put me in contact with the fraud department. She gets all my information, along with lots of screenshots of my conversation with this fellow, pictures of the check and the envelope, and tells me not to deposit it, that it smells of a scam. No kidding! Within 30 minutes of getting off the phone with her, the school calls me back. They got in touch with the communications director and called to inform me that it was definitely a scam. They had actually had another person call them yesterday as well regarding the same sort of scenario!
He goes by Jimmy Gregory. So beware! You see his name come up in some form or fashion stating he "wants to help" all he wants to do is help you empty your bank account, right into his! I am SO THANKFUL we paid attention to the red flags. So thankful we didn't deposit that check. So thankful God protected us from financial disaster! It was set up in such a way that by depositing it, it would have given him access to our account. I don't even pretend to understand folks like that, and don't want to.
But good news? Bryan and I, BY OURSELVES, installed a new island cabinet in the new kitchen today! Pics to follow!

1 comment:

  1. That was just Satan trying to ruin things for you guys & steal your joy! People like that are a big pet peeve of mine! This is one of those times I imagine God smirking & thinking "not today Satan...not today!"

    ReplyDelete